Aldi is bringing out the Crofton Carbon Steel Wok as an Aldi Find for the week of 6/28/2023. The fourteen inch Crofton Wok will be available for just $14.99 while supplies last. This pre-seasoned carbon steel wok comes in two colors; black or silver.
I am not sure how they make the different colors since both are apparently pre-seasoned carbon steel and I would expect them to be the same color. Carbon steel woks do change color with seasoning or with high heat so it is possible these are treated differently or one is unseasoned.
I recently purchased this carbon steel wok on Amazon and have been really happy with it so far so I won’t be testing Aldi’s wok out. I would read the packaging carefully to figure out what the difference is between the two colors (if any).
The previous models of the Aldi Wok did not get good reviews (read them at the bottom of this page). Those reviewers all had issues with the non-stick coating flaking and peeling. Hopefully this version performs better since it is pre-seasoned carbon steel instead of non-stick.
The seasoning should get better over time if you take care of it and season properly, assuming the initial seasoning is good.
Crofton Carbon Steel Wok
- Price: $14.99 (2023, prices may vary)
- Available: 6/28/2023
- Colors: Black or Silver
- Pre-seasoned carbon steel
- Flat bottom wok with carbon steel body for even heat distribution
- Beechwood handle
- Works with for electric, glass ceramic, halogen and gas cooking surfaces
Is The Aldi Carbon Steel Wok A Good Deal?
Without knowing the quality of the pan or having any user reviews of the pre-seasoned carbon steel version (since it isn’t out as I am writing this) it looks like a pretty good price. Unfortunately Aldi doesn’t list the size of the pan either so it is harder to make direct comparisons.
The only wok I have personal experience with is the Yosukata flat bottom wok that I bought on Amazon. I have been using it quite a bit and am happy to recommend it if you are willing to spend a bit more than Aldi’s $15 price tag.
- GENUINE TASTE: Discover the rich, authentic flavors of Chinese and other Asian cuisines in your own home. The Yosukata 13,5 inch wok with flat bottom is specially designed to lock the juice and flavor…
- PRE-SEASONED: Our carbon steel wok is pre-seasoned at high temperatures over 600F using special technics unlike unseasoned woks and stir fry pans. Still require full seasoning with oil like any…
- HIGH-QUALITY MATERIALS: This large wok pan is made from heavy-duty, black carbon steel. The ergonomic design of the wooden handle ensures a comfy grip when you use this pow wok
- PREMIUM ASIAN COOKWARE – Experience traditional Chinese culinary as Homeries brings you its Premium Wok Pan. It features an authentic Asian Cookware design that works exceptionally in stir-frying…
- COMPLETE STIR FRY WOK SET – Each Set contains a Wok with Lid and two (2) Spatulas. The wooden lid is designed with a handle for easy handling. It features real wood construction, which adds classic…
- CARBON STEEL CONSTRUCTION – This Carbon Steel Wok has the slick cooking surface of non-stick pans, the efficient heat transfer of stainless steel cookware, and the durability and heat tolerance of…
- Healthy, No Chemical Coating: This hand hammered pow wok is made of carbon steel without chemical coating. It is healthy and non-toxic. It’s easy rust.Don’t forget to season it before use. After…
- Professional Chefs Choose: This wok is ideal for stir frying, stewing, sauteing, steaming, braising, frying, and deep frying favorite Asian recipes and more. The carbon steel wok pan heats quickly and…
- Suitable For Any Stovetop and Spatula: The wok with flat bottom that creates a stable surface for secure cooking on gas, electric, halogen and induction cooktops, no extra support accessories needed….
Crofton Non-Stick Wok: Price and Details
Both variations of this wok appear to be nonstick coated carbon steel and use the Quantanium coating for the non-stick properties. This is a coating that includes titanium particles and is specially formulated without PFOA.
I am in the market for a wok but I am trying to move towards carbon/stainless steel or cast iron for most of my pans since they should last a lifetime and improve with use. I find that even good quality non-stick pans start to lose the coating or just perform worse after just a few years. If I use carbon steel or cast iron (and maybe stainless?) the performance should improve with use. But with this being priced so low and looking pretty good I am tempted to try it out for a bit.
- Price: $12.99 (2022- prices may vary)
- Black with dark handles or Gray with light handles
- Helper handle for easier pouring and lifting
- Quantanium nonstick coated Carbon Steel for superior durability, easy food release, and cleaning
- Riveted, faux wood handles
- Perfect nonstick pan for stir fry meals
- Two-year warranty
- Flat Bottom Wok
- Works with gas, electric and glass ceramic cooktops
Is Aldi’s Non-Stick Wok A Good Deal?
At just $12.99 the Crofton Non-Stick Wok looks like a steal. Nonstick woks that are in the 14 inch range look like they are selling for a minimum of $30 (for one with decent reviews) and more commonly are in the $40-50 range.
A similar looking pan from Kenmore is selling for around $40 right now. It is also a 14 inch carbon steel wok with a nonstick coating and flat bottom. Or you can go with this green earth pan for just over $30 if you don’t mind the green color.
If you are looking for a more traditional wok that is just carbon steel with no nonstick coatings I am looking at this one by YOSUKATA. It has the advantage over some other carbon steel pans in that it is already heat treated to blacken or blue it to help with the seasoning process. It is going for about $60 right now and seems to be a good price compared to the competition. The main reason I am thinking of going with this type of pan is it should last a lifetime.
When looking at any woks be sure to get one with a flat bottom if you plan to use it on an electric cooktop at any point in the future, the round bottom pans won’t make good enough contact and should just be used with gas stoves or other open flame cooking.
Reviews of Crofton Stir Fry Wok
Please list if you purchased non-stick or seasoned carbon steel and the year you purchased your wok in your review. Aldi products may change models through the years.
Updated: 6/21/2023- The three 1-star reviews prior to March 8th, 2023 were for the non-stick model.
great price, took a chance
I bought the Crofton Carbon Steel Wok because the label said “pre-seasoned” and nothing about a non-stick coating. It’s 13.75 inches in diameter–great for fried rice for 4-6, or to saute 2 lbs of broccoli florets. It’s not quite as nonstick as a brand new teflon pan, but I wouldn’t expect it to be. The inside center has started to discolor a bit (just like a seasoned carbon steel wok would with use) but no peeling. So I really don’t think think it has a non-stick coating (other than the result of seasoning). Would be nice to have a second handle for ease of carrying, but at this price that’s a small defect I can live with. Now I just need to get a lid, and maybe a steamer rack
Crofton wok 14inch. silver color $14.99
Carbon steel, precoated with beeswax must be scrubbed of and burnt and seasoned.
Small instructions inside cardboard.
Oh my gosh, this pen is horrible. I was boiling some pork pieces and noticed all the stuff was peeling from the bottom. I had it on low heat. I quickly took the pork out, but it was too late the pieces of the bottom stuck to my food this could be poison and there was no way I was feeding this to my dogs. I’m returning it to all these and they should take it off the market if they don’t want a lawsuit.
Just a sticky mess!
Even after generously seasoning multiple times, its impossible to get any release. Very frustrating. And there was also a funky smell which is concerning.
coating pealed ,what did I eat?
After using it a third time ,I noticed (after I served dinner) spots that look like chipping inside pans bottom coating . I used a wood spatula, no metal .Now I m afraid to use it .Hope Aldi will refund it.
Last update on 2024-02-22 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API