Aldi Frozen Tuna Steaks
Aldi carries Specially Selected Ahi Tuna Steaks in the freezer section year round. This is “Sushi Quality” Wild Caught Ahi Tuna and it usually sells for around five dollars at my local store (prices may vary- Check your local price on Instacart).
That price gets you 12 ounces of raw tuna steaks individually frozen in vacuum bags. A typical package has three individual steaks that are about 4 ounces each. That is considered three servings (1 serving= 4oz) but we typically split one pack between two people.
Sushi Quality Tuna at ALDI
Aldi labels this Ahi Tuna as “Sushi Quality” which is not a regulated term but typically means the seller deems it safe to consume raw. Typically fish sold as Sushi Quality will be frozen at very low temperature for a specific period of time to kill potential parasites. So basically it comes down to whether you trust the seller of the “Sushi Quality/ Sushi Grade” fish.
Since Aldi is a major corporation and has been selling this tuna labeled as Sushi Quality for a number of years I tend to trust Aldi and I do consume it raw or rare personally. You will have to decide that for yourself along with whether you want to consume any fish raw, I am not giving out any health advice.
As far as the quality of Aldi’s tuna goes I have not had any issues with it personally. It is a very lean part of the tuna typically, you aren’t getting a nice fatty tuna belly here. It also sometimes has areas that have a bit of connective tissue that needs to be cut properly to not be chewy but that is not a big deal. Overall it seems to be great quality for the price. I make a nice sushi dinner for two with one package plus a few other fairly cheap ingredients.
Specially Selected Sushi Quality Tuna Details
- Price: around $5 per package (2023, prices vary- check your local store or Instacart for current prices).
- Availability: Regularly Stocked Item Available Year Round
- Size: 12 ounce (340g) package (typically 3 tuna steaks per pack)
- Servings: 3 per package
- Sushi Quality Ahi Tuna Steaks
- Skinless, Boneless Steaks
- Individually Vacuum Wrapped
- Wild Caught and Certified Sustainable Seafood MSC (msc.org)
- Aldi Twice as Nice Guarantee
- Product of Vietnam (may vary)
How to Thaw Aldi’s Frozen Tuna
According to the package instructions: “To thaw, remove steaks from packaging and place on tray or plate. Loosely cover and thaw under refrigeration. Once thawed, cook within 24 hours. DO NOT REFREEZE.”
Aldi Sushi Quality Tuna Meal Ideas
With all of these meal ideas use your own judgement/preference on cooking doneness or eating raw fish. I personally have eaten Aldi’s tuna cooker rare or raw and will continue to.
- Sushi: slice thin pieces of tuna for sashimi or sushi. Dice the tuna that is not easily sliced and use it for a tuna roll or add spicy mayo for a spicy tuna roll. I also like to make “hand rolls” with Aldi’s Seaweed Snacks, rice and the tuna (sliced or diced). Just take a seaweed snack and a bit sized amount of rice, a slice of tuna, and anything else you like in your sushi. Some good sushi ingredients you can also get at Aldi: Imitation crab, cucumber, jalapeno, avocado, soy sauce, mayo and hot sauce. I have even used Aldi’s premade guacamole as a substitute for fresh avocado with good results.
- Poke Bowl: Just top a bowl of rice with raw diced tuna (Aldi carries Specially Selected Sushi Quality Ahi Tuna), diced cucumber, green onion, sliced avocado, spicey mayo and Seaweed Snacks. For the spicy mayo I use Burman’s Mayo mixed with a Sriracha style hot sauce. You can also add sesame seeds and other veggies. I also use Aldi’s classic Guacamole if I don’t have fresh avocado. The Everything Bagel Seasoning is a decent topping especially if you don’t have plain sesame seeds.
- Seared Tuna Steaks: Season or marinate the tuna steaks and then sear each side in a cast iron pan until it is done to your preference. I like the middle to still be fairly rare on mine but I have also cooked them to medium well while still being pretty good.
- Some more ideas that I haven’t tried yet: Tuna Tartare, Tuna Carpaccio, or Tuna Ceviche. These all sound like great ways to use this tuna that I will try out in the future.
I have even cut Aldi’s Sushi Quality Tuna with Aldi’s Sushi Knife!
@aldithings Cutting Aldi Sushi Grade tuna with a $8 Aldi Sashimi Knife #aldifinds #aldi #alditiktok #aldis #aldishopping #aldiseafood #sushi ♬ Sunny Day – Ted Fresco
Specially Selected Sushi Quality Ahi Tuna Reviews
What do you think of Aldi’s Tuna Steaks? Let us know how you use them!
Such a great deal!
Love that Aldi offers this. It helps scratch my itch for sushi at a very reasonable price.